France threatens ban on private jets: industry reacts
Following pressure from NGOs and social media trackers, a political debate has emerged in France on the idea of limiting, taxing or even banning private flights. Minister of Transport Clément Beaune said he is ready to put banning private jet flights on the agenda of the European transport ministers meeting in October following public backlash from revelations regarding the private jet emissions of France’s wealthy. Beaune has clarified in an interview in Le Parisien that the EU must act as one on this matter to ensure that all “have the same rules and impact is maximized”. He intends to add the matter to the agenda of the next meeting of European transport ministers in October. An informal meeting of transport ministers is currently foreseen for 20-21 October 2022 in Prague. If an outright ban is not an option, Beaune said he is ready to “act and regulate private jet flights”.
The Group of French aeronautical and space industries (GIFAS), presided over by Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury, reacted to the debate by arguing that larger business jets in France represented just 0.00025% of global CO2 emissions. “80% of [business aviation] flights operated in France are for commercial purposes,” it said, describing them as a valuable tool for companies. “The remaining 20% is made up of government, medical and private flights.” www.gifas.fr
Italy chooses Certares-Delta-Air France over MSC-Lufthansa to take over ITA
Italy has chosen Delta Air Lines and Air France/KLM as the preferred bid to take over national carrier ITA Airways. The airlines will enter exclusive talks for the takeover, with lead investor, Certares. It was chosen ahead of MSC Group, partnering German airline Lufthansa, which were considered front-runners. MSC and Lufthansa had filed a bid to buy 80% of ITA Airways. The Delta Air Lines/Air France bid “was deemed to be the most in line with the objectives set”, the Italian economy ministry said. “At the end of the exclusive negotiations, binding agreements will only be signed if their content is fully satisfactory for the public shareholder”, the ministry added. Rome's main Fiumicino airport would be at the center of the industrial plan presented by Certares, they added. Air France-KLM welcomed the decision, saying it would initially be a commercial and operational partner for Certares. www.mef.gov.it
FAA approves unleaded fuel for piston fleet
The FAA signed on September 1 supplemental type certificates that allow General Aviation Modifications Inc.’s 100-octane unleaded fuel (G100UL) to be used in every general aviation spark-ignition engine and every airframe powered by those engines.
The FAA’s approval of the use of G100UL fuel in all piston aircraft satisfies a longstanding goal of finding a solution that can be used for the entire GA piston fleet.
Initially allowed for use in Cessna 172s in 2021, G100UL was later cleared to cover a list of additional aircraft models.
Twelve years of research and testing on G100UL were invested into the fuel’s development before its recent, wide-scope approval. Formal approval to use the fuel will be implemented through the FAA’s STC, demonstrating the agency has determined that engines and aircraft operating on G100UL will continue to be compliant with the airworthiness safety standard requirements for Part 33 engines and Part 23 airplanes. It is not clear when G100UL will be widely available, as the production infrastructure for the fuel must be brought to scale, and a supply chain must be established. While this initial approval is for General Aviation Modifications Inc.’s G100UL, other companies are testing their own replacements for 100LL. www.aopa.org
People: Gulfstream appointed Oliver Bergsch as v-p of sales for Central and Eastern Europe
Gulfstream Aerospace recently announced the appointment of Oliver Bergsch as regional vice president of Sales for Central and Eastern Europe. Bergsch joins Gulfstream with more than 25 years of experience in aviation. Over the last 15 years, he held a range of senior sales management roles at Gulfstream’s sister company, Jet Aviation. There, he was responsible for maintenance, fixed base operations, charter and aircraft management sales activities in the Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia-Pacific regions. He has also worked alongside Gulfstream’s Customer Support sales leadership team for the last four years, successfully increasing synergy between the two General Dynamics aerospace subsidiaries.
Bergsch is based in Gulfstream’s sales office in Vienna, Austria, and reports to Michael Swift, division vice president of Sales for Europe, the Middle East, Africa and the Indian subcontinent. www.gulfstream.com